Friday, February 21, 2014

A Simple Motivation Trick

Hello Everyone!


Today in this blog I want to give you a simple trick I use for motivation.  This will help to get you doing the things you must be doing, however sometimes we all feel out of it or tired.

I will first give an example of my situation.  I started going to improv comedy classes once a week.  This is something I dread and get nervous over, but I know is beneficial for me.  The classes are two hours long.  On the day of improv I will tell myself I will go for one hour and give myself the option of leaving after that.  Doing this actually gets me going to class because one hour is not too bad.  After the one hour has passed, I will have usually gotten a lot more warmed up and in a different state of mind.  I have momentum on my side.  Most of the times I will continue to stay after the one hour has passed.  I realize this can actually be fun.

So for many people their tough situation could be going to the gym.  The same trick can be used for this.  Tell yourself you will go to the gym for just 20-30 minutes, or however long will get you to actually go.  Once those 20-30 minutes have passed you have the option of continuing working out or you can leave.  Many times you will actually stay longer.  You have been working out and it's not so bad after all.  Everybody else is working out.  This trick works because you are in a very different state of mind than when you were at home thinking about going to the gym.

Another thing to note is to make sure you give yourself the option of either staying or leaving.  Sometimes you may really not be feeling it and may leave.  This is fine.  Giving yourself the option to stay or leave will really help with getting you to actually go in the first place because 20-30 minutes does not seem as daunting.  

Try this trick out and comment below on your own personal experience.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment